Can a PCC be used to scan Photos

Audeal 13:14 19 Oct 2006

Hi All. I need to scan some photos for my family tree and will be using a portable scanner with a Laptop. It has crossed my mind that it would be a good idea if it could be done using my Mio A201 Pocket PC.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so where could I get the hardware and software to use with my PCC.

The source of the photos are a hundred miles away and I can't carry my All in One scanner that distance. I have yet to purchase a Handheld scanner suitable for the job. Recommendations for Handhelds would be grateful.

Many thanks for any help. Audeal

sean-278262 14:12 19 Oct 2006

As far as I can tell there are no ways to do it bar hacking the device's firmware and making up a connector and something tells me that isnt going to be something you would want to do. Have you considered going to the local council waste collection site and seeing if there are any old scanners about the place as you could take one with you and then get rid of it if thats what you need rather than waste money on an item you will have little use for.

Audeal 14:41 19 Oct 2006

Creature of the Nite: Thanks for your response. As I thought it does seem impossible to do but I just thought that I might be wrong.

As for Hacking (anything), that is beyond my capabilities, although that knowledge could have it's uses. I was thinking more on the lines of some software that could be installed on the PPC and connect a Handheld scanner by USB as the PPC does have a USB connection for connecting it to the Desktop and Active Sync.

Finding a scanner at the tip would not be so easy because I need a Handheld as even a flatbed would be to large to take with me. My Auntie would not be very happy if I arrive with half of my equipment with me. But thanks for the suggestion though.

If anyone else has any suggestions I would be grateful to here them.

Stuartli 14:43 19 Oct 2006

I would think the chances of finding a scanner at the local tip are pretty remote..:-)

If you have a digital camera with a macro feature, that may prove the easiest method if quality isn't the absolute requirement.

Stuartli 14:50 19 Oct 2006

i.e. take a photograph of each of the required photographs.

If you need a photo editor then Picasa2 is as good or any or use Windows XP's own version, Photo Editor.

€dstowe 14:53 19 Oct 2006

If these sources are photographs, can't you get them sent to you in the post for scanning?

Wak 16:02 19 Oct 2006

How about scanning them at the local library and then send them to yourself using one of the free file sending web sites such as click here??

Woolwell 18:09 19 Oct 2006

Canon used to make portable printers BJC50 and BJC85 in which you could take out the print cartridge and insert a scanning head. Whether there are any still around and whether they would work with your Mio I don't know. I suspect that the scan results were not that great.

Totally-braindead 18:14 19 Oct 2006

You could take them to your local camera developing shop and ask them to scan them and put then on a disk for you.
Don't know the price but I wouldn't think it would be that much providing you don't have loads of photos and it does no harm to ask.

Audeal 20:04 19 Oct 2006

I think I need to make one think clear at this point. The photos in question are all in several Albums and I do not want to take them out through fear of damaging them. Some are as old as 90 years and my auntie does not want me to take them away, for the same reason, and she does not want to let them out of her sight, which is understandable, they are valuable items to the family history.

Anyway, it seems that I will have to purchase a handheld scanner and use my sons laptop to do the job. The scanner will be useful from time to time so I think I will settle for that.

Woolwell: I do know of these printer/scanners as I did have one a few years ago. It was ok for printing but the scanner was not so brilliant and the photos do need to be removed to feed them through the printer and I do not want to remove them from the Albums. I need one that I can drag over the photos by hand.

This one seems ideal for what I want, connected to a laptop. A bit pricey but, I think, will do the job
click here

Any Recomendations on this one, anybody?

Technotiger 20:34 19 Oct 2006

Hi, I am not familiar with that scanner shown in your 'click here' - but it looks as if the photos need to be passed through the scanner individually? Not what you want!

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires