Can a PC interfere with television reception?

  DrBlighty 20:16 14 Aug 2003

I purchased a PC which was assembled by a small firm in the UK. I live in a block of flats and the tenant downstairs insists that my PC is interfering with his TV reception. Is this likely or even possible and if so what can I do to fix the problem? Is it possible to get a certificate to say that my PC conforms to UK standards in terms of its ability to interefere with TV reception? If so, where do I apply to get the certificate?

  vienna1981 20:24 14 Aug 2003

not sure if it can interfere with a neighbours downstairs tv is unaffected by my pc being switched on, although the tv in the room where my pc is, is affected. when my pc is switched on, diagonal lines appear on the tv.

it is possible but unlikely that your system is causing interference over such a distance. if you have any of the paperwork for your computer or its parts there should be FCC A or B compliance statements for part15 of the FCC rules. thats an american standard but should prove your point.

if you dont have the paperwork download your motherboard manual from the manufacturer and the monitor manual. the worst culprit is likely to be a printer if you have one.

  JIM 20:37 14 Aug 2003

Electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI) can travel from the computer to other devices through the AC power cable and power source or through the air like transmitted radio waves. They can adversely affect devices such as radio and television receivers operating near the computer, as well as interfere with cordless and low-power telephones. Conversely, RFI from high-power telephones can cause spurious characters to appear on your monitor screen.

I would suggest that you turn on your computer have someone use the mouse ,and have a visit to your neighbour to confirm or otherwise.

Ithought this was appropriate!!!!!!!

Television and Radio Reception Interference.

It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly or intentionally use, operate, or cause to be used
or operated, any device, appliance, equipment, or apparatus generating or causing high frequency
oscillations or radiations which interfere with television broadcast receiving apparatus, radio broadcasting
receiving apparatus or wireless receiving apparatus, except that a person duly licensed to practice medicine,
osteopathy, chiropractic, or dentistry.

Mind you it could only happen in the USA :)

  wee eddie 20:40 14 Aug 2003

That a computer has to conform with.

Don a large false beard and visit your local Trading Standards, or try searching on Google

  wee eddie 20:41 14 Aug 2003

I spent too long searching Google

  woodchip 20:55 14 Aug 2003

Yes it can even though it conforms to fcc. Try moving the computer to a new location he probably as is TV right underneath the computer. And By law you have not got to cause interference on is TV

  jz 22:27 14 Aug 2003

Does the person use a portable aerial? For good reception, one should use a roof-top aerial, and good quality aerial (coax) cable. I think that the authorities will only investigate interference complaints if the person complaining has a roof top aerial. A loft aerial is not as good as a roof aerial.

I remember visiting someone in Manchester who got intereference on BBC2 when his PC was on. In Manchester, TV comes from the Winter Hill transmitter, and BBC2 is on Channel 62 which is very close to 800MHz. Many PCs have 200 or 400MHz clocks, and clocks are rich in harmonics, so some 800MHz inevitably escapes from the PC and gets into the TV aerial. This is more of a problem if the TV signal is weak (eg if you're a long way from the transmitter or in a there are hills in the direction of the transmitter that attenuate the signal), since the weaker the signal, the more the TV has to amplify the signal (and, of course, the PC interference).

  jz 15:15 16 Aug 2003

I forgot to say that the Post Office used to have a very good free advice booklet on TV interference, including who you can approach to investigate problems. That was around 10 years ago, so I'm not sure if they still do it. It's worth asking them.

  hugh-265156 15:34 16 Aug 2003

i have my tv three feet away from my computer as they are connected,no interferance whatsoever.

as above make sure your components conform to standards.

  jz 17:04 16 Aug 2003

The tuner inside a TV is very sensitive to interference pickup, so the manufacturer puts it inside a metal screening can which keeps interference out, thus avoiding the problem. Although there is other circuitry not in this screening can, it is less sensitive (although not fully immune) to pickup. The usual route for interference is the aerial. This is normally a reasonable distance away from PCs if it is on the roof, and roof aerials are directional, so tend to pick up less from directions other than the transmitter. This is why you don't normally have an interference problem if you have a roof aerial.

Even though PCs have to conform to EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) standards as part of European Union regulations, they still emit a fair amount of interference. If the TV signal is weak and you have an indoor aerial, interference can easily occur. This happens with radios too. My FM portable radio with internal telescopic aerail is close to my PC. There's no problem with strong local stations, but weak ones are blotted out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?