Can only use pc OR laptop for internet

stuco 10:17 18 Aug 2008

Hi, apologies if this question has already been asked and answered.

I have just set up a laptop to connect wirelessly through a dynamode modem/router to Talktalk. Unfortunately when this is accessing the internet, the pc (wired connection to broadband router supplied by Talktalk) will not connect to internet. Currently I am having to switch off Dynamode if the pc wants to access intenet.

From the main junction box working outwards, I have,
a microfilter to kitchen extension,
a microfilter to bedroom extension,(this then has its own microfilter fitted and an extension to the pc router),
a combined microfilter/box with hall phone and Dynamode router connected.

Both systems are using the same ISP account details to connect - could this be the problem or should I 'rearrange' my connections so that Dynamode router is nearest the box.

All help appreciated.
ps sorry if its something completely obvious to more experienced users

mgmcc 16:35 18 Aug 2008

You *CANNOT* connect two routers directly to the phone line. The ISP only allocates one IP address which goes to the first device to connect. The second device won't get an IP address to go online.

This is precisely why a router is used. The router gets the single IP address and, in turn, allocates IP addresses to the computers connected to it, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, most commonly a 192.168.x.x range. It then *ROUTES* the internet traffic to the appropriate IP addresses in the network.

One way or another, both of your computers will need to get their simultaneous internet access from the *SAME* router.

stuco 22:03 18 Aug 2008

Ah, that would explain it then. Thanks for the reply. A few questions -
Assuming I have to keep the dynamode modem/router for the laptop to connect wirelessly, I would then have to connect the pc to this one and do away with the talktalk broadband router?

As the pc is upstairs and the dynamode router downstairs what is the best/easiest way to connect the pc?

Probably another daft question :) but if I plug the pc/bedroom phone line extention into the connection box downstairs after the dynamode router, would this work?

Thanks in advance.

stuco 22:24 18 Aug 2008

Just had another thought. Could I move the dynamode router upstairs (plugged into the bedroom/pc extention) so that I am within 'ethernet cable reach' of the pc?

Strawballs 22:42 18 Aug 2008

Yes you could do that and that would be a better place for the wireless transmitter for reception all round the house for the wireless laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?