can only get 16 colors all of a sudden

spot the braincell 15:15 14 May 2006

Hi, for no apparent reason our PC will only display 16 colors and no amount of changing the display settings and rebooting makes a jot of difference. We're running Win 98 and this hasn't been a problem before. Any clues gratefully received, thanks.

woodchip 15:26 14 May 2006

Reload graphics drivers

spot the braincell 17:57 14 May 2006

cheers woodchip, err what do they look like and how do I do it,presumably they are on the windows cd, s.t.braincell

Diodorus Siculus 18:01 14 May 2006

click here
SIW will tell you what graphics card you have.

Go to manufacturer site and you can get the relevant ones.

woodchip 19:21 14 May 2006

As above, also if it's onboard Graphics you will need to download them for the motherboard. All the Drivers but make sure you get the Graphics card drivers. to load you just double click on the download, or look for a setup file

spot the braincell 20:47 14 May 2006

thanks Diodorus, I used SIW and clicked on drivers and it brought back a long list from ACPI to WSTCODEC. However I can't see what demarks a graphics driver and can't see on the listing where it identifies the manufacturer

Dipso 21:02 14 May 2006

In SIW go to Hardware > devices > display adapters first and this should show the type of graphics card you have. This will then help you to find the correct drivers off the web.

spot the braincell 09:52 15 May 2006

Right folks it seems I need an ATI Tech XPERT 98 driver. Unfortunately when I go to the ATI TECH site it lists it as discontinued which is not particularly useful. Is there anywhere else I can get it, preferably on the free side of cheap.

strech 09:57 15 May 2006

click here

try here you will need to join first but its free

spot the braincell 22:06 15 May 2006

thanks to one and all, I managed to download the relevant driver from driverguide having identified the correct one from previous tips, cheers, Spot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone