Can only connect to broadband in first 2mins

villageidiot 20:24 18 Jan 2007

Windows 98SE operating system.
Virgin.Net broadband as default ISP.
Computer connected to BT phone line main socket via SpeedTouch 330 ADSL modem (Shown under System Properties/Device Manager/SpeedTouch USB Modem) and a filter. Only other connection is one phone, via another filter.
Details for Plusnet Dialup ISP also installed, but phone line NOT connected into phone connector on back of computer.

If I try to connect to the Internet within about two minutes of switching on my computer all is OK. However if I try to connect after about two minutes from switching on, I get an error message about not being able to detect a dial tone. Both lights on the modem are on, solid.

Once I have established the connection, I can disconnect, and then re-connect after any time.

Why will my computer only connect within about two minutes of switching on?

Terry Brown 20:34 18 Jan 2007

Just a guess, but it could be the same reason that when you take the 'phone off the hook, without dialing, you get a message or a tone, which causes a fault which is retified by replacing the receiver and starting again.

spenno1 01:30 19 Jan 2007

Im not an expert, but check all your connections from the computer to the various bits leading to your phone line.Plug your "setup" to the MAIN telephone socket and not an extention socket.just an idea11

Salut 09:11 19 Jan 2007

I too am experiencing a similar problem with Wanadoo-Speedtouch 330. The Wanadoo web site has a good and clear error correction proceedure. As a starting point it recommends turning off the computor, disconnecting from both the UBS & filter-wait three to four minutes, turn the computor back on. When all is up and running only then reconnect the modem. This apparently forces the modem software to reboot. The web site goes onto to detail a number of alternative error correction routes, if they are needed. So far mine has behaved itself.

As an aside, I have switched the original modem usb port to one that supports USB 2 (Previously used on a slower USB) as Wanadoo now give me 4bps rather than 1bps.

Whether this is of help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?