Can only access external harddrive by shortcuts

grussell 19:41 10 Oct 2008

I have a Western Digital Elements 500Gb external harddrive and have just discovered there can be problems with hibernating my laptop and using the harddrive.

I think this what has happened as i now cannot access the the drive from 'my computer' it says the disk is not accessible and does not show any of the free or used memory.

However i have a couple of shortcuts on my desktop to different folders on the drive and can access them perfectly through this. I am not able to do things like sync my Ipod etc since it recognises the drive as not accessible.

Is there a way to correct this?

Thanks

mgmcc 20:22 10 Oct 2008

If you shut down the PC completely for a couple of minutes then, with the external drive already connected and running, boot the PC. Does it then recognise the drive?

If not, does plugging the drive in while the PC is running let it be found?

Personally, I wouldn't hibernate the PC without first using "Safely Remove Hardware" to detach the external drive.

woodchip 20:25 10 Oct 2008

are you turning the drive off when you hibernate the PC? also before or after Hibernate?

grussell 20:29 10 Oct 2008

Sorry tried that mgmcc doesn't work.

woodchip i haven't been using the 'safely remove hardwarer' function which i realise now was a mistake so the drive stays on when it goes into hibernaton i presume.

woodchip 20:40 10 Oct 2008

If it stays on then the drive most likely will be ok but, I think you are having the same problem I had with a USB WiFi Dongle. After a restart from Hibernate it would not pick up the WiFi every time. A reboot was the only answer

woodchip 20:40 10 Oct 2008

I think USB as something to do with it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?