Can Office 2007 recognise Lotus 123 Workbooks?

Ancient Learner 16:02 30 Mar 2007

In another thread I have been helped to deciding to get a copy of Office 2007 Home Edition.

Now I have the problem of converting a number of quite complex Lotus 1-2-3 97 Workbooks (123) to Excel.

Naturally, I am reluctant to spend hours/days/weeks formating these onto Excel, and so I wonder how I would go about transferring them to there. I am sure that Excel will steadfastly refuse to recognise Lotus files, but Lotus can save in Excel 97-2000 Workbook(XLS) or Excel 5/95 Workbook (XLS) form so would that work as a file recognised by Office 2007?

Or, it occurs to me, would it be best to save in an Excel form, put these into 'Open Office' and from there into Excel.

I feel sure that others have had to face this before now, but it doesn't seem to be a well documented path.

VoG II 16:25 30 Mar 2007

Excel 2007 does not recognise .123 files.However, it will recognise files saved in Excel 97/2000 format.

I don't see why you would need to go via Open Office.

Ancient Learner 17:28 30 Mar 2007

Thank you VoG™.
The Open Office thought was only if Excel needed something different and I assumed that OF might be able to provide that - if you follow me!

UncleP 17:31 30 Mar 2007

As a general rule Lotus products will import those from a wide range of other software houses, and export to many 'foreign' formats. Microsoft products are often only compatible with their earlier versions of the same or similar in-house products.

You may find that there are minor formatting differences which appear depending on the intermediate file format chosen, so its worth checking each for accuracy where it's important to you or your application. As VoG implies, going through OpenOffice only complicates - and may impair - the transfer process.

UncleP 17:34 30 Mar 2007

Obviously took me more than three minutes to type my post!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone