Can not select just one desktop shortcut

Ayup_Tyke 08:34 25 Mar 2008

Hi All,

Every so often, I am unable to select only one shortcut on my desktop. When I select a shortcut icon on my desktop, it highlights a few more around it (between 4-12), if I double left click, it opens all the shortcuts. If I open IE or Firefox and browse the web, each page I view opens in a new window. I can not shutdown via the start menu I have to press the reset button on the case (which I know is not ideal)but on reboot all seems fine and back to normal for a while then it happens again (ca once every couple of weeks). I know some would say don't worry and just reboot every time but I all ways worry about blue screening when I have to reboot using the reset button. Op system Win2K

Any Ideas?????

Stuartli 10:50 25 Mar 2008

If you hover the cursor over the problem shortcut it will/should list the path to the Location - check if this is a recognised program or application.

You can get rid of the short cut by right clicking and selecting Delete.

Ayup_Tyke 11:07 25 Mar 2008

It happens to all and any of my shortcuts. All the shortcuts are recognised. It seems to be a mouse selection setting has changed or the Ctrl key is activating when it shouldn't

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?