Can not read CD Programs

281apple 17:26 16 Jan 2008

I have a laptop which is three years old and has been working very well up to now. About five days ago I needed to reformat the hard disk, but my laptop refused to read the program. I tried other programs on CD's and it could not read them either. I then put a DVD Video made on my desktop and it worked immediately. I then put a CD with only music and it did not work.
CONCLUSION: My computer can read only DVD Video but not programs nor music CD's. This is something new becuse it worked OK for three years.
All suggestions are welcome please.

Fingees 18:32 16 Jan 2008

As cd uses a different head than DVD, it's probable that the cd head has gone faulty.

You can try using a head cleaner disk, else it is a matter of replacing the DVD/CD drive.

281apple 18:50 16 Jan 2008

Thanks Fingees, I buy a head cleaner disk somewhere and try it out. If it works I'll let you know. I confess that I never heard of a head cleaner disk.

Totally-braindead 19:23 16 Jan 2008

You can buy them anywhere, Woolys and even the likes of Tescos. If it doesn't work you can use it on your hifi or DVD player so its not a complete waste.
Mine was from Tescos and was about £2 I think.

281apple 22:02 17 Jan 2008

I haven't found one yet. I'm in a small town in Spain for a month and the small shops here don't have one. I HAVE A QUESTION: Does an external USB CONNECTED dvd/cd drive exist?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:15 17 Jan 2008
  Totally-braindead 22:56 17 Jan 2008

Yes theres loads of them, DVD writers as well. EG click here or you can make your own up using a CD or DVD drive you already have (an internal one) and what they call an enclosure such as this click here

Totally-braindead 23:04 17 Jan 2008

Just reread your post, word of warning. You are talking about reformatting your laptop and you might not be able to do this. If your computer will startup blank from a USB connected CD or DVD drive then fair enough. But if it won't and you blank your PC then you won't be able to use the external DVD until windows is installed and it needs windows to get the USB working and you can't install windows as your internal DVD isn't working. Catch 22 if you see what I mean.

Now some PCs will allow you to set an external USB drive as the boot device and if yours will do that then perfect if not then don't format the drive. Either repair windows or buy another internal drive to replace the faulty one.

281apple 08:33 18 Jan 2008

I finally found someone here who speaks English; he repairs computers for a repair shop here. He loaned me a CD to clean the heads of my DVD/CD Drive. But it did not work, so I guess I'm going to replace the present internal DVD/CD because there seems to be some doubt about whether an external one could boot my computer.
I really appreciate everyone's advice and wish to thank PC ADVISOR for having created such a good forum and especially for people like me who get along fairly well with software but not hardware. Hasta la vista!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017