can not get wireless connection

sablered 00:57 22 Jul 2010

My computer crashed a few weeks ago and since that time I have not been able to go wireless on my laptop.
My router is fully operational as another laptop & Ipod can pick up the signal.
I can connect to the internet through my laptop only if I have the yellow earth net cable connected.
I have reloaded the software 3 times now with no luck. My server is skybroadband & router is a sagem

Strawballs 04:03 22 Jul 2010

Without sounding funny is the wireless on your laptop switched on?

sablered 12:25 23 Jul 2010

not funny at all strawballs, but I will check and let you know

sablered 19:19 23 Jul 2010

Ok a blonde moment here, how do I turn the wireless on (most likely have done so but just checking!!)

rdave13 20:04 23 Jul 2010

Check the laptop's instructions manual as there may be a button or slider switch that needs to be turned on . It could be a combination of the FN key and another.

sablered 23:23 23 Jul 2010

Thanks rdave, that did the trick. Sorry!!!

rdave13 01:47 24 Jul 2010

Sorry!!. What for? Just don't start a thread on another forum relating to the same problem.
Let us know, if you have the time, how you sorted out the problem.
What laptop, operating system, etc., and thanks for replying as it will help others who use this forum and might use the search facility.
Thank you.

Strawballs 04:40 24 Jul 2010

sablered did as you suggested looked in manual and found out how to turn on wireless, it does not really matter what machine or O/S others using search facility will just be reminded to check their wireless is switched on!

sablered 22:26 25 Jul 2010

re problem with the wireless, as suggested I hit the FN key on the laptop key board, which I did not know existed until you mentioned it.
Many thanks, Sablered :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?