Can not format USB drives

iqs 18:20 22 Sep 2009

Hi,

I have four USB flash drives,which I can not format on my PC.When I right click and press format it states the drives are in use,and close any open programs.No programs are using the drive.

I cant even stop the drives to remove them.The only way I can remove them is with Un Locker.It states that the drive is being used by Janef.exe.All drives state this,even an old 32MB drive I havent used in over 6 years.

To get around this I have to format all the drives on another PC,which I'm doing,then will scan each after.

Any ideas what Janef.exe is please,and why this is happening on all the drives?.
Cheers

woodchip 18:30 22 Sep 2009

Check System restore as not got the Drive letters in its list. if it as change settings for each drive by clicking on the drive the settings and then turn off restore for that drive letter

chub_tor 18:40 22 Sep 2009

Janef.exe is spyware according to this site click here You need to get rid of it.

iqs 18:40 22 Sep 2009

Hello woodchip,

Thanks for the help.

I am currently running a virus scan on C:,so I cant really check your suggestion yet.I did quickly check System Restore,and turned off monitoring on my D: and H:,both HDD.

When the PC scan has finished and I formatted all my drives and scanned them using the other PC,I will do as you suggested,should take about 30 mins or so.

Thanks

iqs 18:42 22 Sep 2009

Thanks chub_tor,
I am currently running scans on my PC and drives,so far nothing has been detected.I use Bullguard and Maleware,I will download spybot and see what shows.Cheers

iqs 18:52 22 Sep 2009

Sorry chub_tor,meant SUPERAntispyware

iqs 20:01 22 Sep 2009

Hi all and thanks for the help and advice.The virus was on my external HDD,Installed SUPERAntispyware and its now gone :-)

But it has created another problem when trying to access the external HDD.Another post I think.

Once again many thanks to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?