can not connect to internet using wireless router

jakclouseau 19:11 01 Apr 2006

I have just installed a wireless G desktop network card (BELKIN) on my pc but i cannot get it to conect to the internet i am using a bt voyager 2091 wireless router but they dont seem to be talking to each other i know it will be somthing simple i just need pointing in the right direction i would really apreciate some help on this one!! again thank you very much.

jakclouseau 20:14 01 Apr 2006

please please please HELP ME!

wobblymike 20:34 01 Apr 2006

The 2091 is a router/modem so I am surprised that you see the need to install a wireless card as well - have I misunderstood you - please clarify.

ade.h 20:38 01 Apr 2006

Crying out "please please help me!" after only an hour is a bit premature.....

Firstly, have you got MAC filtering enabled in the router? If so, entering the physical address of your adapter will be necessary.

Secondly, have you configured your software firewall to allow connections to and from the adapter?

Thirdly, is the adapter installed fully and correctly? I assume - as it's a simple PCI adapter - that you are not using any software with it. BUT, if you are, it may well be better to run it driver-only. Uninstall the hardware from Dev Manager, remove the software, reboot and load only the driver from the CD. This lets XP handle it and it's happier doing that than having interference.

jakclouseau 20:45 01 Apr 2006

this is all very new to me so im not too sure what im doing please be patient as you must have been new at some point! thanks

jakclouseau 20:52 01 Apr 2006

thanks wobblymike i needed to have a network adaptor on my pc so i could use my router wirelessly i just dont know what ive done everything seems to have loaded correctly it just will not pick it up there must be a simple solution for this! ........ i hope.

ade.h 20:59 01 Apr 2006

I assume that you have already enabled the wireless service in the router config and changed anything that the manual expects you to do? Saying that, BT routers may a bit of an odd-one-out based on what I've read recently, but other routers must be configured - via Ethernet - before you can get going wirelessly. Entering the ADSL connection settings is only part of the process to completely configure a router.

jakclouseau 21:04 01 Apr 2006

thanks ade.h yeh ive done the bit using ethernet,i can see on my pc that it shows the signal strenght as exellent but the status shows limited or no connectivity there must be somthing i have missed but i just dont know what?

wobblymike 13:41 02 Apr 2006

jakclouseau
I'm sorry to appear dense but despite your answer above I still don't comprehend why you have fitted a separate wireless card to your PC. The 2091 is a wireless/router all you need do is connect it to your ethernet connection on your PC or NIC card. Do you mean that you have installed a NIC card because you dont have an ethernet connection on your mobo?

mgmcc 14:06 02 Apr 2006

<<< I'm sorry to appear dense but despite your answer above I still don't comprehend why you have fitted a separate wireless card to your PC. >>>

mgmcc 14:10 02 Apr 2006

<<< I'm sorry to appear dense but despite your answer above I still don't comprehend why you have fitted a separate wireless card to your PC. >>>

Sorry, that message posted prematurely - don't know what I did ;)

To connect to a wireless router *WIRELESSLY*, i.e. without having to use an ethernet cable, the PC needs to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?