Can not browse internet

Gareth85 20:17 30 Jul 2010

On my laptop, I am connected to the internet, and can access MSN Live messenger (and hold conversations with people). However, if I try to access any webpages it comes up as page not displayed, and the diagnosis comes up as having no problems. I have tried accessing Google Chrome, error message reads:Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET). I have also tried accessing Safari, error reads 'unknown error (kCFErrorDomainWinSock:10054), and also windows explorer, which has no error code. I really dont understand how how I am coming up as connected, and able to access MSN Messenger, but nothing else?? My work laptop, and flatmates laptop are both working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated

mgmcc 20:55 31 Jul 2010

It sounds as though Port 80 (the port used by "http" protocol) has been blocked in your Laptop. This page click here suggests initially disabling any firewall software and if that doesn't sort it, there is suggested fix but it does involve changing a setting in the registry.

kristain 09:01 02 Aug 2010

It commonly happens due to proxy server settings.

Open Internet Explorer
Click Tools
Select Internet Options

Click on "Connection" Tab
Highlight the BTopenworld connection and click on Settings

Check that 'Use a proxy server...' and 'Use automatic configuration script' options do not have ticks next to them. (If they do, uncheck these).

Click OK

Now close Explorer, and restart again

click here to repair faulty internet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017