CAN MY LAPTOP SHARE WIRELESS BROADBAND

pooperscooper 16:40 11 Jun 2007

Hi, I have just bought a new laptop, before I take it all out of the box can you tell me if I can share my Wireless Broadband which I have on my desktop with it as it has NOT got Wifi but it does have a wireless lan 802.11 whatever that is??? I think I may have made a mistake buying this so I wont take it all out of the box until I can be sure that it will be OK being as it is not wifi, also this new one have Vista on it and my tower has XP home on it will this be OK?....Thanks in advance..Val

ventanas 16:52 11 Jun 2007

If it has 802.11g then it has WiFi. Just connect it the network, which it should detect when switched on. Tick the box to confirm that it will always connect to this network.

What makes you think it lacks built in WiFi? What make and model is it?

There should be no problem with XP and Vista. I ran the same setup for a short while before replacing my desktop.

pooperscooper 17:19 11 Jun 2007

Hi Thanks for getting back so quickly, I didn't think it has wifi because usually if it does have it, it is platered all over the box, or at least there are usually big letters saying wifi, and this didn't have that. It is only a cheap model from woolies £349....a Medion. but I only want it really for the internet so I can share the broadband while I am upstairs in my bedroom...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:21 11 Jun 2007

First of all have you got a wireles router to connect to?

pooperscooper 17:33 11 Jun 2007

Hi, Is the router the white box that orange sent to me?...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 11 Jun 2007

IS it a LIvebox?

pooperscooper 17:36 11 Jun 2007

YES

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:19 11 Jun 2007

Then yes you can set the wireless option in the livebox and connect your laptop wirelessly.

IF the Livebox is switched off or powered down then it resets to it factory settings.

If you can connect to the livebox BUT NOT get any web pages to open you need to change the security setting in the live box.

To change the setting

1. Connect to the live box with an ethernet cable.

2. click here or type http:// configuration.adsl/ (without the space) in your browser address line.

3. you will now be connected to the livebox click on "Access to the configuration pages (access to these pages is restricted, you must have the password)."

4. Input the username and password (admin for both if you have not changed it)

5. Click Configuration - Advanced - Wireless

6. You will see that it is set to WPA or WEP security click and set to WPA security only

7. Click submit and wait for the livebox to rest itself.

8. Disconnect the etehernet cable and you now should be able to connect by wireless

pooperscooper 09:41 12 Jun 2007

Hi, Thanks for this information, I have just been reading the book that came with the wireless broadband and it is telling me that I now need a "wireless adapter" for every computer I want to link, and I have to buy them from their shop?...Is this right?....Thanks

Graham. 09:53 12 Jun 2007

As above, 802.11 is a wireless feature which the laptop has. You don't need a separate wireless adapter. Boot up the laptop, turn on the wireless switch and the Livebox will be detected.

pooperscooper 10:44 12 Jun 2007

Hi, Sorry to be so thick but I can't find a wireless switch anyway on the keyboard or above it, where is this likely to be?....Sorry again for these silly questions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone