Can map, but can't access in Explorer

JimmyW 00:22 30 Apr 2007

I'm running XP32 with no firewalls. I cannot networked machines (from the problem machine) through Windows Explorer, but receive a Windows message that the workgroup is not accessible. Permissions are not an issue. Every machine uses a 10. IP, 255 subnet, and a default gateway is unnecessary. However, I can map a network drive can ping any machine on the network.

Every machine is a member of a workgroup named UNIT. A user named Jimmy exists on each system as an admin, and his password is the same on every machine, each of which has properly configured sharing and permissions. So, when Jimmy logs on to any machine, he can authenticate to the other machines. I can map a network drive in Explorer. However, when I go to Explorer\MyNetworkPlaces\EntireNetwork\MSWN\UNIT, I can neither see nor access any other machine. Instead, a message box named My Documents appears, indicating that "UNIT is not available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin . . .The list of servers for this workgroup is not available." Thanks for suggestions!

maanse 09:20 02 May 2007

I am getting exactly the same problem, When i go to my network places the shared pc is listed but i cannot gain access. Although if i map a drive manually using \\server\shared folder, i can browse and change files within that shared folder.

Sebastian Ereira 13:27 02 May 2007

it must be a firewall or anti virus problem

JimmyW 03:13 03 May 2007

It's not related to a firewall, as none are installed. Not AV, either. Identically confirgured machines don't have the issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?