Can little knocks and bumps damage HD in a PC?

jbp1982 21:10 16 Mar 2005

I have two kids and they constantly are bouncing round the living room, would the vibrations and desk being knocked do any damage to the hard disk?

It's really not an option to put the computer outta the living room. But if you guys recommend it I'll have to.

Thanks.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:12 16 Mar 2005

More chance of winning the Lotto.

G

jbp1982 22:09 16 Mar 2005

Take it as a no then.

It's just that the computer is like my favourite child, lol.

stalion 22:11 16 Mar 2005

yes all computers are playfull sometimes

goonerbill © ® 22:16 16 Mar 2005

ya kids could play horsey on your pc and the hard drive will be ok, ya case may not. you would have to drop the drive really to do any serious damaged (makes a nice rattling noise after that has happened).

TomJerry 22:18 16 Mar 2005

desktop components are more robust than laptop

jbp1982 22:21 16 Mar 2005

Thanks fellas, I know its a bit of a silly question but I just want to preserve my investment.

Technotiger 22:23 16 Mar 2005

There is no such thing as a 'silly' question here.

lol

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:31 16 Mar 2005

Sell the children.

G

josie mayhem 22:36 16 Mar 2005

I would be more worried, when the little darnings actualy get to use it. Little fingers do soooo much damage when let loose on a keyboard when attached to a working computer.

By the age of 10, most children can get around most parent controls. the worst colprits for spyware is the kiddies sites..

Believe me I've been there, I've got one drive that I use as a back up drive (about 2 gs in size loaded with win98) I dread to think how many time I've dropped it over the years, and not woren anti-static strap but it muggals on and on, baled out many a friend (and me) in it's time. It sits in my office on a shelf.

Technotiger 22:37 16 Mar 2005

Not so sure about 'silly' answers though......

:-))

only joking GANDALF

:-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?