Can a laptop boot from solid state PCMCIA or USB?

AdeJ 13:06 14 Jan 2007

I want to use a laptop on a boat for sat nav etc and without buying a brick designed (and priced) to survive military use, the weak point is the hard drive potentially suffering damage from bounce/shock.

Given the capacity now available for solid state storage is it possible to have a laptop boot and run from it or am I being too wishful before I check my lottery numbers..?

(current bios has boot option of USB, not checked updates yet)

Many thanks..

pk46 13:18 14 Jan 2007

If you mean a USB2 HD i would say NO but you never know there are some people well up in IT on the forum.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:18 14 Jan 2007

Yes you can boot from and run from USB, you could also boot and run from a CD.

You are limited on the size of packages you can fit on the USB. Windows is rather large you would be better off with Linux.

Laptops like the IBM thinkpad use padded drives and shock detetors to stop the drive and prevent damage.

The weak point is the hard drive potentially suffering damage from bounce/shock.
I you not think that the HDD is any more vunerable than say the mobo of memory sticks etc.

AdeJ 11:35 24 Jan 2007

You can also get an IDE > CF adaptor - the trick is bring careful with the write-cycle lifetime of the CF card but it works..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017