Can I view Desktop on laptop

Switcher 21:34 19 Feb 2003

I can operate my Laptop using my Desktop VDU.

Is it possible to do the reverse i.e. operate my desktop by using my laptop screen. If so How.

Stuartli 21:42 19 Feb 2003

I assume you mean using a program such as LapLink or VNC.

Stuartli 21:44 19 Feb 2003

PS

My son sorts out my daughter's laptop in the Cayman Islands using this method - it's just as though he is sitting in front of her computer; in reality it's thousands of miles away.

Legolas 23:05 19 Feb 2003
  Switcher 00:13 20 Feb 2003

Sorry I didn't explain my particular problem.

I have a computer at my holiday home where I spend my weekends. The VDU is faulty but can be used for a short time. However I have a low spec laptop P166 with a very good screen. I would like to use the desktop spec by using the PC keyboard, mouse etc but by viewing my actions and results on the laptop screen.

I don't want to buy a new VDU at present since I hope to retire to the country soon and will be taking my main PC there.

I don't require a program to do the reverse.

bigdamouk 01:09 20 Feb 2003

all u need is a cable from your monitor serial port (on the back of your desktop pc) and plug it into your port on the back of your laptop!

I think?!

I could be wrong though!

DieSse 01:57 20 Feb 2003

No, what you want to do is not possible.

Switcher 18:12 20 Feb 2003

Thanks all - it appears that it can't be done - I'll just have to purchase another VDU.

Legolas 18:19 20 Feb 2003

You can pick up 15" monitors for twenty quid or go to ebay and get a bargain I have just received and am using a 17" monitor great colours and display and it only cost me £38 from ebay click here

Stuartli 19:36 20 Feb 2003

According to this (and a number of other references) you can use your laptop with a monitor:

click here

Stuartli 19:41 20 Feb 2003

Got that the wrong way round...:-(

See here:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?