Can I use this as a wireless access point?

chub_tor 09:34 04 Dec 2006

My broadband connection with f2s uses a Netgear DG834 combined modem router. It is not the wireless version and I have two PCs successfully networked to it.
On a visit to the USA I was given a brand new Belkin Wireless G router Model F5D7230-4. I would like if possible to use this as a wireless access point to my DG834 so that I can connect to my laptop but have no idea if this can be done.
I can overcome the 120V/240V issue by using a new 9V power pack but I am not sure how to onnect the ethernet cables between the Netgear and the Belkin routers, assuming this is the way to do it. Also I presume that I need to install the Belkin software on at least one of my networked PCs.
If anyone has a way of doing this it would be much appreciated.
Incidentally the Berlkin has no modem it is simply a router.

De Marcus™ 09:46 04 Dec 2006

You may be able to 'piggyback' the routers. I'm not entirely sure but if I remember correctly, the 4th port on a 4 port router should be used for piggybacking, the same applies to the 8th port on an 8 port router.

De Marcus™ 09:47 04 Dec 2006

Forgot to add.

I believe it's a common thing for lan parties to piggyback routers.

chub_tor 09:52 04 Dec 2006

Thanks De Marcus, that's a good start. I will wait for some more replies.

mgmcc 12:47 04 Dec 2006

Just connect one of the Netgear's LAN ports to one of the Belkin's LAN ports, disable the Belkin's DHCP server and use it as a Network Switch / Wireless Access Point.

Network Switches usually have an "Uplink" port for daisy-chaining, or a port that can be toggled between normal and uplink, but a router is less likely to have this facility. This just means you use a "crossover" cable instead of a standard ethernet cable to connect the two.

Alternatively, plug the Belkin's WAN port into one of the Netgear's LAN ports and run all of the computers via the Belkin router. It will get a WAN IP address in the Netgear's subnet (192.168.0.0 or 192.168.1.0) and will allocate IP addresses to connected computers in its own 192.168.2.0 subnet.

chub_tor 13:16 04 Dec 2006

Thanksfor your reply, in the absence of a crossover cable at the moment I will try your alternative suggestion and report back.

chub_tor 13:47 04 Dec 2006

Well it all seems to work, and I am very grateful for your reply, I can now access all 3 pc's across the network and have internet connection on all of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?