Can I use software CD for Windows 95/98 on XP?

maxdoras 07:04 13 Jul 2007

I have interesting software such as touring the Vatican, etc. but I recently bought a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows XP os. Will the older software run smoothly? Can it harm my XP?

User-312386 07:51 13 Jul 2007

some sofware will run and some wont

No you cant harm your computer or XP

Squirrel1 15:25 05 Aug 2007

Why not install Microsoft Virtual PC2007 or VMWare Server and run Win 95 or 98 in on a virtual machine.
Yes it does have some limitations. Like no USB support. But, this can be worked around by using a USB to Serial Bridge device with the relevent software installed and settings enabled in both XP Device Manager and Virtual PC2007.

It is not perfect, but it works!!

Technotiger 15:35 05 Aug 2007

Once the software is loaded, if it does not run at first, then you could try it in Compatibility Mode .. right-click on the softwares' desktop icon then on Properties and click on the Compatibility tab.

Technotiger 14:20 22 Aug 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. BEST TO YOU. MAXDORAS

Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REGARDING USING OLDER SOFTWARE ON XP.

Technotiger 14:22 22 Aug 2007

Hi,

My Pleasure - I hope it worked for you.

However, you should have simply put this message into your Thread, then everyone
could see it.

I have not looked recently, but if you are now happy with the answers received, then you
should Green-tick the Thread as Resolved. To do this, after posting your last message,
click on the tick-box and the word Resolved, then click on the Post Response button.

If you have any further questions/problems, the PCA Forum members will ALL be happy
to offer their suggestions/solutions.

By the way, it might be a good idea for you to download the Forum Rules, you will find them
in the Helproom forum on the first page.

Best Regards.

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?