Can I use SATA 300 in a 150 slot?

profoundkeys123 11:29 05 Aug 2007

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my computer storage aby adding an internal hard drive. I think for price and size I was drawn to the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - hard drive - 500 GB - SATA-300.

I know I have a SATA drive currently installed, but how can I tell if its 150 or 300? If I currently have 150, does that mean I have to stick with 150? It seems to be difficult to find a large sized 150 drive when I search.

Sorry if these are stupid questions its just really confusing me!

johndrew 12:12 05 Aug 2007

Download something like Everest Home click here or SIW click here and look up the HDD part number (under Physical Drives in Everest). Put the part number into Google and identify the specification of your drive.

To see if your motherboard will take a SATA II HDD do the same for this and again look at the specification. If the mobo is fairly recent, it is almost certain to take SATA II.

Also read this click here

jimv7 12:31 05 Aug 2007

If you get the right drive, some of them have a jumper to switch between 150 and 300, so yes the right sata drive will work.

profoundkeys123 15:05 05 Aug 2007

Thanks for the information.I checked the Seagate website and it states that the drive is 'backward compatible' with SATA 150, so it sound slike that should work. But I'll take on your advice and do some more checks. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?