Can I Use Phone When On ADSL???

beastieboy 10:43 13 Jun 2003

Hi,

I am with Pipex ADSL and was told that I would be able to use the phone at the same time as when I am using ADSL.

However, I can phone the number, but I oick up there is that awful noise of there being an internet connection and then my ADSL connection is broken.

Please can someone help,

Many thanks

MichelleC 10:58 13 Jun 2003

You'll need a filter @ cira £10.

beastieboy 11:00 13 Jun 2003

I have a telephone socket in one bedroom. From this there is a splitter for two further phones to come out. As MY bedroom does not have a socket, we have an extension running from the 2nd spare slot from the original bedroom, this then is used as the slot which the microfilter goes into - hope this makes sense

Many thanks,

Janusz

Magik ® 11:06 13 Jun 2003

each phone has to have a filter, to split the signal, the PC does not need one...

beastieboy 11:08 13 Jun 2003

Diagram of my setup here:

click here

beastieboy 11:16 13 Jun 2003

Hi,

Could you pretend I was 5 years old and explain, it's just that I have so many things going on. I basically have two phones downstairs. One socket upstairs which is split to basically provide two sockets. From one of these I have an extension which the filter is plugged into and into which the modem is plugged into.

COuld you explain very basically please. I have the filter: click here

Cheers

crx1600 11:25 13 Jun 2003

on your diagram, the 'phone' in the top left, has no filter,

each telephone in the house needs to be running thru a filter.

beastieboy 11:26 13 Jun 2003

I gotcha now - surely there is a way that only the ADSL modem need the filter?

Guess I'll have to invest in some more filters then

Cheers,

Janusz

crx1600 11:32 13 Jun 2003

if you move the 'splitter' so it is after the filter, rather than before, you can split the 'voice' line, to run as many phones as you like.

beastieboy 11:36 13 Jun 2003

So I would only need 1 filter to be able to use as many phones as I want?

Janusz

steven_frost 11:47 13 Jun 2003

put the filter in the phone socket then put the splitter into were the phone goes then plug your leads in it should work i've got 3 phones working

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?