can I use a cd or a dvd in my computer?

dijo 15:27 03 Mar 2008

Hi, another question I am afraid!

my computer has a CD Writer 52x32x52x can I copy stuff on to a cd or a dvd with it?

Pamy 15:31 03 Mar 2008

CD

Diemmess 15:57 03 Mar 2008

Not the way you have in mind.
CD writers whatever their speed will only work with CD disks.

You will have to fit a DVD RW to be able to burn DVD blanks (with accompanying software).
Being later technology, these will also work with the older CD blanks, as well as read either format.

dijo 16:21 03 Mar 2008

Thanks for the info, I only wanted to know so that I bought the right blank discs to copy onto
thanks again
Di

iscanut 20:02 03 Mar 2008

Best bet is to buy CD-R discs

Totally-braindead 23:55 03 Mar 2008

It can only write on to CDs, it cannot do DVDs and personally I would use CDRs. The CDRW disks you can get, which you can blank and use again, are not as reliable as CDRs and considering how cheap CDRs are its not worth the hassle.

dijo 16:05 04 Mar 2008

Thanks everyone, I have just bought some CD-R's
great response, for what must have seemed like a very simple question to you guys!

Totally-braindead 18:31 04 Mar 2008

How do you think most of us learned?

By asking on here is the answer. Now if you get asked the same question you will be able to supply the answer.

skidzy 22:18 04 Mar 2008

" great response, for what must have seemed like a very simple question to you guys! "

I came here about five years ago with absolutely very little knowledge of computers...these guys helped me out,now i do the same,not to mention building computers for fun and under privileged children.

dijo 18:33 05 Mar 2008

I have just noticed, on an email from pcadvisor asking if I want to subscribe, that a dvd is included on the front cover, does that mean if I did subscribe, I would not be able to look at the dvd?

skidzy 19:02 05 Mar 2008

Hi dijo
only if you have dvd rom or dvdrw drive.

If you are unsure,check device manager;

Windows key + Pausebreak / Hardware / Device Manager

Now look under cd drives,expand the + sign and post back here the details listed...though if you have dvd rom or writer it will say so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?