can I use 3rd pty cd to load windows

justkevin 18:06 07 Apr 2007

I want to format my harddrive and don't have the original cd like I thought I did,I only have the cd containing word and excel powerpoint etc and I don't think that is the right cd.If I use a 3rd pty's cd to load say windows xp,will that be a problem ,or is it straightforward.I am assuming that they will have the cd given to them when they bought the pc a few years ago

Technotiger 18:09 07 Apr 2007

Not possible, unless it is put back onto the original pc. Illegal to put it on any other pc.

Kate B 18:10 07 Apr 2007

You can use someone else's CD provided that a) it's the same version of XP as you had and b) you've got your licence key - you can't use someone else's licence key. It should be on a sticker on the PC itself somewhere.

Kate B 18:11 07 Apr 2007

Incidentally, that's for a full version of XP - you can't use a restore disc from someone else's machine as it will be set up for their hardware, not yours.

justkevin 19:25 07 Apr 2007

Hi thanks for your replies,the original was not xp but 2000 professional and there would not be a sticker on the pc as it was a self build.Is there any way of "unpartitioning" my hard drive at all.That is the only reason I want to do it,what would be the problem with using someone else's licence key?

Technotiger 19:48 07 Apr 2007

Problem is that the original XP has already been registered in someone elses name and on their PC, so as I said, illegal to use on any other PC under the same licence. One licence for one PC.

2neat 12:59 10 Apr 2007

click here|693375497&gclid=CNjM2LyNuIsCFShJEAodLFRLxw

Win 2000 is old too now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone