can i use 2 routers

skyblue58 21:05 30 Dec 2007

My base station is quiet a distance from my wireless router netgear 834g and i have a wireless usb adaptor to connect to it a netgear wg111. The signal is however not that good. I have a spare wireless router and was wandering if i can connect it to my base via ethernet cable and try to connect it to my netgear wireless router.basically i wish to swop my usb wireless adaptor with another router in the hope of getting better signal strength.thank you

Stuartli 21:47 30 Dec 2007

You can get wireless repeaters to boost the signals.

Some advice here:

click here

Stuartli 21:51 30 Dec 2007

My youngest offspring, who has a full wireless setup throughout his property, swapped his BT cordless landline phone for one by Panasonic; cordless phones from this brand apparently cause minimum effect on a BB wireless setup.

wjrt 11:48 31 Dec 2007

click here
an alternative

€dstowe 12:05 31 Dec 2007

I've recently gone over to "through the mains" networking (similar to the items in wjrt's link but from Netgear).

I would never go back to wireless.

howard64 16:58 31 Dec 2007

may I question what your purpose is? I have pcs in 2 places which cannot connect via wireless. Depending on what i want to do I use different pcs. One solution was to run an ethernet cable [cat5e] from position 1 to position 2. I very rarely require both positions to be live at the same time and therefore set up my second router in the second position and now use the router at whichever position I happen to be using. This is obviously no good if you want both on at the same time. I did find that using 3 usb extension leads connected together I could get a wireless conection with the usb dongle some distance from the pc. As a retired electrician running an ethernet cable was not a problem but I prefer the 2 routers normally.

kjrider 19:45 31 Dec 2007

Hi Skyblue58

Yes - its quite easy to do it, with a length of ethernet cable. I have done it to cover a blind spot in my place. Its best to have them on separtae channels, so that they don't interfere with each other. If your neighbours are nearby, it may be advisable to have WEP. If not, make sure that your files and data on PCs cannot be accessed.

Have fun

KJR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?