Can I uninstal MSN Messenger from one part of HD?

Baslla321 15:27 12 Aug 2004

Is it poss to take off MSN Mess from one part of the partitioned hard drive ONLY? There is a good reason for this. Thanks.

cga 15:42 12 Aug 2004

Sorry if I am being thick but I don't understand your question. MSN Messenger is an application that can be set to nly start up when you want it.

Am I guessing correctly that you have multiple accounts (or even multi-boot) and you dont want some users getting at this application.

If so then post OS and your setup - should be able to help.

Baslla321 15:55 12 Aug 2004

that is correct. What do you mean 'post OS' & my ste up? I am green in this.

Baslla321 15:58 12 Aug 2004

my teenaged dauthter has been getting funny suggestions and I want to stop her from just using this facility.

cga 16:04 12 Aug 2004

OK - I guessed it was something like that. first we need to know which operating system you use (W98, WinXP extc.)

The other thing that may be a little confusing is that there are 2 similar product from Microsoft - MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger. If you don't know which then we can sort it out.

There are some sick wierdos out there that make this sort of thing necessary.

cga 16:06 12 Aug 2004

One other thing - do you use the same logon or do you have separate one's ?

Baslla321 16:15 12 Aug 2004

win xp pro & different log ons. This is not windows Mess but MSN Messenger. Sorry but she is around so have to be fast.

Baslla321 16:22 12 Aug 2004

must go but will check in later. Many thanks.

cga 16:36 12 Aug 2004

OK - so here is something to work on when you have time.

1. I assume you want to use messenger yourself - if not there is an easier way.

1. Open MSN Messenger and go to Tools - Options - General and unclick the first box 'Automatically run messenger when I log on to windows' click OK

2. Go to C:\Doucuments and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and move MSN Messenger 6.2.lnk to C:\Doucuments and Settings\youraccount\Start Menu\Programs.

3. Go on to her signon and remove any icons for MSN Messenger.

This should do it

The only word of caution I would make is that nothing is foolproof. I have brought up 5 kids and, in the end, you will have to talk to her about the perves on the net if you are going to let her go online.

Belatucadrus 17:16 12 Aug 2004

click here may also be of interest.

Baslla321 18:31 12 Aug 2004

THANKS Will Try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone