can I turn off my laptop keyboard

maund 18:52 08 Nov 2005

Hello all,

Can I turn off my laptop keyboard? I have an ADVENT 7027 and have got windows XP SP1 installed. I am currently using a desktop PC keyboard and I think the laptop keyboard has developed a few problems?

Regards

David

Skyver 18:57 08 Nov 2005

Was that the one that kept popping up search windows? You'd need to look in the BIOS on boot up to see if it can be disabled - however if you ever needed to access the BIOS again, no keypresses on a de-activated keyboard will work so it's not very likely they'd allow it to be switched off.

maund 20:23 08 Nov 2005

Could I not use the keyboard I am currenly using to access the BIOS if I was able to turn the original off?

Skyver 21:21 08 Nov 2005

It's possible but you'll be stuck if it doesn't work - it's not the same as plugging a PS2 keyboard back into a desktop if a USB keyboard doesn't work. If you can access the BIOS now from that keyboard, then you can disregard everything I've said :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 08 Nov 2005

keyboard connects to mainboard via small ribbon cable under keyboard.

Check fully inserted in slot and not kinked.

Disconnect from slot f keyboard not req. after checking USB keyboard can access BIOS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires