Can I transfer XP Home OEM to another PC?

Rogerfredo 09:48 04 Feb 2007

I have just ordered a Vista OEM version and plan to install on my PC at present running XP Home OEM.
I would like to then use the XP software in my second networked PC at present running Windows ME.
Am I likely to be able to get it activated?

Totally-braindead 09:53 04 Feb 2007

No I think it would fail I'm afraid.
Also by installing the OEM version on a PC that already has a operating system on it you are breaking the licencing rules which say it must be installed on a new PC - just mentioning that, its up to you as far as I am concerned.

Rogerfredo 10:24 04 Feb 2007

Thanks for the reply, I thought this may be the case. Only thing about the OEM issue, when I do change the system, I will re-hash the computer with new hard drive and memory etc., so it will be a different beast.

Taff™ 10:47 04 Feb 2007

When you buy the new HDD get a copy of XP Home OEM from the same supplier as well. Then I think you`re legit.click here

Input Overload 10:51 04 Feb 2007

I recently re-activated my OEM XP when I installed a new mainboard, memory, & graphics card without a problem.

Totally-braindead 13:50 04 Feb 2007

Input Overload I think you may just have been lucky. Normally it will fail I have seen this a few times.

jtt 13:07 05 Feb 2007

"I think you may just have been lucky. Normally it will fail I have seen this a few times."

I suspect it depends on how recently it was last activated. If it's more than a year or so, you might find that it will re-activate.

Input Overload 13:10 05 Feb 2007

jtt, I think was the case with my OEM version, it was over 2 years since it was last activated, it seems to me that MS don't keep the details for that long.

Z1100 13:12 05 Feb 2007

I call MS because the OEM Version will not activate over the NIC and they ask for a pile of numbers and give you a new pile pack to activate the Software.

I do this 3 times a year (ok I am a bit paranoid and messy with my HDD) and so far I have had one new HDD, Two New Graphics Cards and one new DVD-CD Drive.

I think the key to OEM Software activation is whether or not the OEM Package is a recovery disc or a stand alone OEM version of the OS. If it is the former then it will not install.

Hanx!
K.

Totally-braindead 13:54 05 Feb 2007

Z1100 the key to OEM activation is the motherboard. If you replace that then you will probably find it will not activate. You can alter graphics cards, hard drives add new optical drives and it normally has no problems.

medicine hat 14:02 05 Feb 2007

I think MS keep the activation records for 6 months

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?