Can I transfer Norton Antivirus to a new PC?

AlanPCA 16:11 26 Mar 2006

I am about to buy a new PC, transfer files, then dump the old one. My old PC has Norton Antivirus installed with a few months left on the licence. I can't see anything on the Symantec web site on transfering the licence.

Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it? Or will I have to buy new software and start again?

ade.h 16:26 26 Mar 2006

Before I realised what a comparatively poor effort Norton's stuff really is ever since Symantec Corp took it over some years back, I succesfully transferred a 2001 and a 2002 license during re-installations. Provided you enter all your details correctly when you re-register, it should be fine.

Totally-braindead 16:31 26 Mar 2006

As far as I know you can install it on your new PC from scratch and then register it as normal, of course you will only have the time you have left on the subscription and will have to download the updates again.

I no longer use Norton because my computer got really mucked up and they wouldn't help as they said they no longer supported the version I was using. I was paying the subscription at the time and was very annoyed as they said the money I paid only allowed me to update the files and was nothing to do with support. If I had known this at the time I wouldn't have renewed my subscription. I now use AVG free together with Zone Alarm Free and CCleaner which is also free and they work well together.

AlanPCA 16:38 26 Mar 2006

Thanks. I guess that loading it onto my new PC is worth a try.

ton 17:38 26 Mar 2006

Save yourself future trouble - DON'T install Norton.

Jackcoms 19:14 26 Mar 2006

I agree with ton.

But, to be a little more helpful, try click here

It's free.

ade.h 19:34 26 Mar 2006

Couple Jackcoms' suggestion with Kerio - also free after a trial period click here A software firewall is a useful addition and it sounds as if you may not have one right now.

But you might as well make use of the remainder of your subscription for now.

AlanPCA 19:46 26 Mar 2006

Thanks all. I do use the free ZoneAlarm firewall so don't mind trying other free software if it comes recommended. I just don't want to be weak on security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?