Can I test my PSU?

Maiden. 21:21 20 May 2008

Hi

I've been having problems with my PC freezing for no apparant reason - eliminating one thing at a time, I'm now thinking it may be an issue with the PSU.

Is there a piece of software available that will 'test' my PSU to see if it is stable, failing etc? If not, is there a way I can do this at all or do I take a chance on a new PSU?

Existing one is a 300w unt that came with the HP Compaq PC 15 months ago.

Thanks

skidzy 21:24 20 May 2008

Afraid not,well not to my knowledge any way.

You can buy a psu tester that checks the voltages click here
very handy piece of kit and can be found cheaper if you shop around.

skidzy 21:32 20 May 2008

For todays needs a 300w is really not big enough,you should be looking for something branded and around 500w upwards.

Though the systems i build are for basic needs all have Antec or Casecom psu's fitted.These are cheap enough to buy and ive not had one fail yet...well only one dud unit.

First check all fans are clear of dust,once this has be done,come back to us if you still have problems.

How much ram is installed ?
Again,in todays computer world a gig or more is prefered for xp though 512MB will suffice.

woodchip 21:50 20 May 2008

Only good way, other than spending a lot of money is with a New one that works

woodchip 21:52 20 May 2008

Have you tested your Hard Drive for Errors?

skidzy 21:53 20 May 2008

Spot on Woody :-))
Hope your well Woody

woodchip 21:58 20 May 2008

Yep, been away to North Wales for a quiet week. Feel a lot better for the rest. Got back Sunday dinner about 12.30

Maiden. 22:05 20 May 2008

Thanks all - yes, I've cleared out dust from the fans.

What's the most reliable way of checking HD for errors?

Many thanks

skidzy 22:09 20 May 2008

either using the manufacters hdd tools (seatools maybe) or run chkdsk.click here

oldbeefer2 09:28 21 May 2008

Had lots of problems with my XP freezing - after much googling, turned off Windoze Auto Updates and the freezing has stopped (all down to svchost, apparently)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?