Can I stop this spam - MAILER-DAEMON returns

tmh2 14:45 11 Jun 2009

I have started to get 100's of spam messages. I own the domain howat.co.uk, and I have started getting messages addressed to "Pam [email protected]" and others addressed to "[email protected]". These are usually some offer or other like win cash, or win shopping, or credit checks.
At first I thought it was a genuine error with someone quoting their e-mail account wrongly, but I have just been away from home for a week and have today received 500 e-mails!
I have got about 200 e-mails RETURNING UNDELIVERABLE MAIL to "[email protected]" & "[email protected]" and other such rubbish addresses. Good grief, some are even in Japanese and Chinese!
I am using Outlook Express 6 and I have tried setting up rules to delete some of these, I have also tried blocking the senders, but how do I manage to keep receiving my genuine e-mails and sort out all this trash?
Does anyone have any suggestions? Apart from dump the domain, after all, I am proud to have my own surname as my domain.

lotvic 15:29 11 Jun 2009

Spammers are using it.
I found out that creating a Sender Policy Framework is the only form of defence but I don't know much about it.
I did a google search for Sender Policy Framework to find out more and suggest you do same for information - it makes interesting reading but there was too much info to start trying to put it on here.

tmh2 15:35 11 Jun 2009

I am checking this out as I type this reply.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

tmh2 15:37 11 Jun 2009

Has anyone tried "SPAMFIGHTER"?

Woolwell 17:22 11 Jun 2009

It is not a good idea to put a genuine e-mail address in your posts. One of the ways that spammers get access is by find e-mail addresses published on the web. I can also find your address.

southhead 18:36 11 Jun 2009

Once they have your domain I guess it’s very difficult to stop spammers. Whatever the characters before the @, even a random string, the message will reach you.
Can you set up a rule in Outlook express which deletes anything other than the exact address you use, e.g. only allow [email protected]
I stopped using a [email protected] many years ago because of spam. When I occasionally, just out of interest, check my web mail I see that it’s still attracting over 200 spam emails each day.

tmh2 17:36 16 Jun 2009

"Can you set up a rule in Outlook express which deletes anything other than the exact address you use, e.g. only allow [email protected]"

I don't know, can I?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)