Can I share home broadband connection with work PC

haven't a clue 14:29 30 Nov 2004

On occasions I work from home and can connect to work through my ntl broadband usb connection.

The problem with this is whilst I have the connection Mrs 'Haven't a clue' is obviously unable to use it to connect on our home PC.

Is there some sort of gubbins I can use which will enable me to connect to work and at the same time my wife to connect as well. Some sort of splitting device?
cheers guys

Technotiger 14:34 30 Nov 2004

Hi, yes quite easily - go to click here where you will find all the answers. Good luck. lol

Noelg23 14:38 30 Nov 2004

try a network, either a router or a hub or even a network cable if the PCs are not too far away from each other...

haven't a clue 15:12 30 Nov 2004

thanks, but still not sure what I need. Both PCs are in the same room and close to each other, so maybe a network cable will do the trick. Question is not being conversant with such, what do I need to look/ask for?
From the set top box I have a cable with a usb connector. What do I need to ask for in terms of what to plug this into which will then be split to the two PCs? I can then perhaps look on billion.com for it
cheers

Noelg23 15:15 30 Nov 2004

of course there is always google...what you need is a crossover cable if your connecting two PCs directly without a hub or router...only problem is cos you have a USB modem the PC with the modem has to be switched on at all times so the other person can use the Internet.

Technotiger 15:18 30 Nov 2004

Hi again, in the the billion site go to Support>FAQ>ADSL Modem/Router you will find lots of relevant intructions. HTH.

plsndrs3 15:23 30 Nov 2004

I had this problem with a BT box that was connected via USB leads.

In the end, the easiest solution for me was to buy a second cable, leave one cable connected to the home PC anopther to the works PC and leave them near the box [actually ended up wrapping an elastic band around the 2 - but that's another story]. I labelled one 'home PC' and the other 'work PC' and explained how to unplug my work and plug in the home PC when she wanted to go internet surfing. A much cheaper alternative than buying boxes and routers and so on!

Only drawback was that the works PC would never be plugged back in - the number of times I contacted helpline for no reason!

HTH

Paul

SEASHANTY 15:24 30 Nov 2004

He is using NTL cable broadband apparently not ADSL.

SEASHANTY 15:28 30 Nov 2004

Check out Robin Walkers website for NTL and Telewest
re sharing connections on the cable modem
click here

SEASHANTY 15:33 30 Nov 2004

Also see the guide on Networklab
click here

haven't a clue 16:01 30 Nov 2004

thanks for your help guys I now have somewhere to start

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?