Can I set up a webcam

WhiteTruckMan 22:21 28 Sep 2007

as a low cost security camera? I'd like to point one out of my window to watch the driveway to see if anyone comes while the house is empty. maybe take a picture frame every second or so and store to a hard drive, not to broadcast on the web. Anyone come across anything like this before or-more to the point-has anyone heard of any software to let me do it?

TIA

WTM

STREETWORK 22:27 28 Sep 2007

Not a problem but you will need to ensure that the software it comes with has 'motion detection'.

A google search for a free one can come up trumps there.

I have used one in the past but now use a PIR one fixed outside.

PS. Still got that hat??...

VoG II 22:27 28 Sep 2007

click here but I'm sure a Google would throw up less expensive alternatives.

raliy2k 22:27 28 Sep 2007

There are some that can provide what you have asked for. From the top of my head, D-Link provides the service you require: click here

rdave13 22:32 28 Sep 2007

Not used it but how's this for $39; click here

WhiteTruckMan 22:38 28 Sep 2007

was a simple approach that would take a picture regardless, so any form of sensor wouldnt be needed. But I was thinking of a video type output that I could review relatively quickly, rather than a large amount of still images. But I suppose if I viewed them as thumbnails it wouldnt be too difficult to spot the ones that were different.

I dont know. I'm merely exploring the possibilities at the moment and seeing if it is feasable.

WTM

woodchip 22:47 28 Sep 2007

You have to put clear Warning stickers up to say that your Property is using CCTV

woodchip 22:53 28 Sep 2007

You have to put clear Warning stickers up to say that your Property is using CCTV

woodchip 22:54 28 Sep 2007

Sorry about that PCA is back to it's old self

Stuartli 23:36 28 Sep 2007

So long as you are only observing your driveway and not public areas such as your street, I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal.

WhiteTruckMan 23:57 28 Sep 2007

Its prompted by me coming home from work and finding that some sod had uprooted all the little solar powered lights I had in the garden next to the driveway and tossed them all over the place. No reason for it, but its really brassed me off.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone