can i run two different isp in the same house?

ogsam33 20:08 11 May 2009

ok i have this roommate whose job is to download stuff for business people. so whenever i get home from school, and try to get on the internet to do research for my assignments he gets mad about it and i end up going to library. im getting fed up now cuz this has been going on for 2 years. i cant say nothing about the internet cuz he's the one paying for it. so i decided that im finally gonna cough up some of my college tuition to pay for another internet service provider. rite now he has at&t dsl running thru the phone line in his room. im wondering if i could buy a different internet service provider like comcast and have it running thru the phone line in my room? and does anybody know which internet has the fastest download rate?

jack 20:13 11 May 2009

I guess you may be in the USA- Am I right?
The phone you have is it a different number to the one you friend has.
Is it separate line?
If it is then I imagine that you could be independent. not so sure though if you are on the same line/exchange

cream. 20:14 11 May 2009

You will not be able to run another BB sewrvice through the phone line, asuming you both use the same line.

You could use a dial-up service but that would tie up the phone line.

If you have reasonable mobile phone coverage, you could use a broadband dongle, through your usb slot to access a service provider for your machine.

PS does your room mate use a router or just a modem If it's a router, are they not willing to share?

ambra4 00:31 12 May 2009

Comcast is a cable supplier and does not supply Internet access via the phone line

Take a read on Comcast High-Speed Internet service

click here

If the phone line in your room is using a difference phone number than the line in your

Roommate room than you can request DSL service on that line, if it a extension on his

line than you will have to install either Comcast Cable, Verizon DSL, Qwest DSL,

AT&T DSL, etc, check around your area and see what is available and what is the best

deal

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone