Can I restore my pc using the XP disc

Angel1 14:05 02 Nov 2006

I am having awful problems with my pc, everything seems to have become corrupt, all office programmes and others, also it says the shell extension library is missing, and anytime I try to restore 'office' or anything I get error messages, I get thrown offline all the time and can't install my isp's software, having to use internet explorer, but still get thrown off.

I have the disk that came with the machine, but not a restor disk. The disk says 'for new pc's only'

Is restoration my best answer? Can I do it with this disk? And if not what can I do please?

Diodorus Siculus 14:12 02 Nov 2006

What you have is a full XP CD it seems - the best disk you can have.

Fist off, back up your data - office documents, photos, address books, bookmrks and so on - everything that you need.

When that is copied to a CD / external drive, put the XP CD in the drive and restart.

You should get the option "press any key to boot from CD".

Do this and you will get an option to repair XP - follow that option and you should be ok.

That's the briefest of outlines - take a look at How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
click here

and

XP Clean Install
click here

wee eddie 15:34 02 Nov 2006

How up-to-date your Anti-virus Software is?

How long have you had the PC?

Sloper69 15:44 04 Nov 2006

It is always advisable to backup your system drivers. Many companies do not supply these on a disk and they are crucial to running parts of your system.

They can often be found by:
START
c drive (or your hard drive designated name)
DRIVERs folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?