Can I remove the Windows - Logs - CBS file

Joe G 17:48 13 Sep 2017

I'm running very short of disc space an looking around have found that the above file takes up almost half a Gb - would it be safe to remove this from the system or does it serve another purpose other than simply being a log - I have noticed the CBS persist rar files are quite small so not much point removing these.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:47 14 Sep 2017

yes you can delete it.

Have you tried running diskcleanup?

or running something like CCleaner to get rid of junk files (CCleaner very safe to use).

You can also compress the opsystem from command prompt using the compact.exe command compactos: always

However before doing anything always make sure you have backed up important data first!

wee eddie 14:18 14 Sep 2017

Run CCleaner Free then have another look. Finding the free version takes a touch of the Sherlock Holmes's. Don't be persuaded to pay anything. The Free Version does all that is necessary

Joe G 15:18 14 Sep 2017

Thanks both - that will help clear some space - sorry I should have said I run CCleaner and Wise 360 regularly as well as the Windows inbuilt disc - cleaner.

My basic problem is that I mistakenly specified a 40Mb SSD for my system drive when I bought this PC - it was at a time when SSDs were still quite expensive but I thought it should be suffficient as I have a 1Tb hard drive and run most programs from there. I see it as a bit of a challenge to not be forced by MS into buying a new SSD and the hassle of installing so regularly see what I can get rid of! Getting close to the point I may have to upgrade though :-(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:28 14 Sep 2017

Have you moved the user folders to the Hdd?

My SSD is using about 34G for windows plus some programs I mistakenly installed to C: instead of the HDD

Joe G 16:45 15 Sep 2017

I looked at moving the Users folder a while ago and it seemed a little complex - not just a case of copying and pasting. Just tried to move the CAB file to my 1tb drive but I got the response it couldn't be moved as Windows Module Installer was using it

You mentioned the possibility of compressing the opsystem earlier - is that a good idea? What does it compress? Thanks again

rdave13 19:34 15 Sep 2017

As you have an SSD do you need fast startup and hibernation? I'm assuming you are on Windows 10. If so then either open CMD admin or Windows PowerShell admin and copy and paste powercfg -h off and press enter. Open file explorer and check how much space you now have.

Check if system restore is enabled. If it is you might try to drop the percentage of the disk it uses.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 17 Sep 2017

Move Users Folder click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)