Can I remove all versions of Host File.

birdface 12:12 13 Feb 2009

Hi.Is it possible to remove all versions of the host File.I usually update my host file every month but in the last few months I have been receiving error 5 when updating.Sure enough the latest version yesterday it did the same.
I have Win patrol to protect my host File and it updates that but does not update it on the computer.
When updating Host file Winpatrol jumps in and asks if you want to change it.So I always check the old version that is being replaced and it always gives the October version.And not last months January version.
Any help appreciated.XP Home edition.

hiwatt 12:34 13 Feb 2009

I normally just delete the hosts file when there's an update and then just re download the updated one.There's a way to update the hosts file but I can't seem to get it work so I just do it this way.

Terry Brown 12:35 13 Feb 2009

I would suggest you run sfc /scannow (from RUN).
You will need to put your XP CD in the drive.

This will check all your system files, and repair as required.
Note the space between sfc and /. this is important.

Terry

Seth Haniel 12:53 13 Feb 2009

Spybot S&D as this updates the Hosts file.

birdface 13:25 13 Feb 2009

No Cd for SFC.Tried other ways but no luck so will have to give it a miss.
Hi Seth,No I don't have Spybot on my computer.I think the host file or whatever must be corrupt or maybe to many versions of it.
hiwatt.I download the new version and run it and the old version is sent elsewhere but it always comes up as the October version for some reason.
So just wondering if there was any way of deleting them all.

birdface 12:49 14 Feb 2009

Nope for some reason it will not update it always says System Error 5 access denied.Now I have tried it in safe mode and with the Firewall turned off but it keeps going back to the October update.Anyone had a similar problem.

Seth Haniel 13:17 14 Feb 2009

do you have a link to the Host file your downloading ?

birdface 14:09 14 Feb 2009

click here
I update it every month but every time Winpatrol asks if I want to change Host file and I check the old one it is always the October Version it removes instead of the January one.I have just removed Winpatrol completely ran the update again and then reinstalled Winpatrol.just a matter of waiting till the February version comes in to see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?