Can I remap a key in DOS?

smithdg 12:05 13 Jan 2010

Problem: a slightly damaged keyboard. The "E" key didn't work, so I remapped E to another key using KeyTweak (a neat Windows-based utility). All fine, then I started re-installing Windows without noticing that the 3/£ key doesn't work either. The Windows (XP) Product Key has a "3" in it, so I can't complete the installation! IF I could re-assign the numeral "3" to another key in DOS, then I could complete installation of Windows (and use KeyTweak again). Can a anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks!

tullie 12:16 13 Jan 2010

Assuming you have a desktop,spend a fiver on a new one,if a laptop,dont know the answer,sorry.

OTT_B 12:34 13 Jan 2010

Think i'd try levering off the 3 key from the keyboard and manually depressing it. But that's me.

bjh 12:45 13 Jan 2010

I'm NOT advocating piracy, but there are loads of XP product keys online; if you can find one of these (undoubtedly illegal) keys that doesn't require one of your dud keys, you could install, then change the code to your legit version once installed. I think the jellybean keyfinder allows you to change the XP code.

smithdg 17:10 13 Jan 2010

Thanks for all suggestions! I found a 3-free product key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?