can i reinstall windows using a backup cd copy

lonemascot 21:01 13 Jan 2007

my originalcopy of windows is at home with my mum and dad. i moved out but wanted to take a copy of my Windows install CD.

I have been having problems on my lappy and wanted to reinstall windows or at least repair it.

however when i use my backup disc, it wont work.

i set all my settings to boot from cd on startup etc but i cant get into the blue screen windows set up program thingy.

does the original cd have to be used in order to do this?

Dan S 21:37 13 Jan 2007

It depends on how you copied the disc; a standard drag and drop of the CDs files wouldn't have done the trick I'm afraid, as the boot files on a CD aren't part of the useable file-structure of the disc. The only way it would have worked would be if you'd have made an image copy of your disc and then burned the image to CD.

There may be a work-around, however. Try searching for an XP boot image. You'll have to make another copy for it to work, but at least then you should be able to boot from it.

woodchip 21:56 13 Jan 2007

If this is a Backup created with the MS back up program. No it will not work. But if you can get into windows you can run it from there to Restore the backup. You have to use MS Backup to restore it

bluto1 21:59 13 Jan 2007

Loanmascot, please accept my apologies if you think I`m hijacking your post, I`d like to find out how to make an image copy of my disc to CD.
Please, not too technical.

woodchip 22:04 13 Jan 2007

If you have NERO. Put the disc you want to copy in NERO click copy. You then put a blank disc in when NERO opens the tray

Dan S 08:26 15 Jan 2007

Alternatively, using the same programs, if you click on the 'Extras' option on the Toolbar at the top, it will give you the option to save tracks. It will ask you where you want to save from (which CD) and then where to. Here you can choose the file location and the type of file you wish to create; the default is the nero standard, which works perfectly fine in Nero, but is outmatched by the sheer versatility and compatibility of the ISO standard. I'd choose the latter.

once that's saved, you now have an image copy of your disc, which you can either keep or make more CD copies of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017