can i record old cassetes to cd using my pc

ozzy 123 16:59 20 Jan 2007

Hi thanks for reading this message
i was wandering if its possible to copy music from cassete walkman to my pc harddrive using the microphone socket ive got a lot of bought originals and want to transfare them to cd.because its an old player it isnt download or upload compatible but ive got a lead that conects between the line out on my walkman and the microphone socket on my pc. ive got nero start smart and easy cd creator6 and musicmatch. im running on windows xp home.
many thanks in advance for all your help.
ozzy

Simsy 17:12 20 Jan 2007

but you don't want to use the microphone socket on the PC... use the "Line in" socket.

You'll need some software to record the audio as it's played into the PC, eg Audacity, which is free, click here

Basically, use audacity to record the incoming audio signal

Save the recorded track as a .wav file

Using audacity edit the wav to create and save a new .wav file for each track, (keeping the original.. don't accidentally resave it as just a single track!)

Use Nero to create an Audio CD

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 17:16 20 Jan 2007

have explained that the "microphone" socket on the PC expects to see a very low level signal, (as produced by a microphone), and the signal is amplified by something in the region of 60dB to bring it up to a nominal "line leve...

If you put the "line out" of the casette player in here it will also be amplified by 60db making it much much too loud, with consequent distortion.

Regards,

Simsy

Wak 10:07 21 Jan 2007

Does this help??
click here

ozzy 123 19:44 21 Jan 2007

Many thanks to everyone ivegot a lot to mull over youve all been a big help thanks again
ozzy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?