Can I record DVD movies with a DVD-/+R/RW drive?

jam2morrow 21:06 25 Jan 2003

Hi Folks,

I am looking into buying my first computer. I was intrigued to see that various DVD recording drives are now widely available. I have a novice's question: could I record a movie DVD on one of these DVD recorders and play it back on a regular domestic DVD player wired up to a TV?

Thanks,
James

Dr Lecter 00:00 26 Jan 2003

In theory you can record a movie the only PROBLEM will be the macrovision copy protection.

Cordy13 00:07 26 Jan 2003

Macrovision is, of course, defeatable.

-pops- 06:40 26 Jan 2003

What you are asking about is not on the right side of legality.

Brian

rickf 10:34 26 Jan 2003

Yes, you can copy legally. You are allowed to make a back-up copy but of course you are not allowed to say rent a movie and copy it. That would be illegal. You just need the right software to copy movies.

User-312386 11:51 26 Jan 2003

as rickf says you ARE allowed to make 1 copy of the disc legally, this is so you do not scratch the original

as long as you do not distribute it in any way or form then the above IS legal

madboy33

-pops- 12:03 26 Jan 2003

Not wishing to start yet another interminable discussion on the merits or otherwise of copying, Macrovision is present to prevent people copying the item. If it was intended that the disk could or should be copied, Macrovision or any other copy protection would not be there. By over-riding copy protection you are going on the wrong side of legality.

Any method of over-riding copy protection, easy as it may be, is not legal.

On a general point of whether or not copying of any type of disk is concerned. This depends on the wording of the license agreement made between you and the originator of the disk. This varies between manufacturers and even between products of the same manufacturer. Some licenses say yes you can make a copy, others say no you can't. You have to read the EULA to find out the details and how many people do that? Reading just the first and only one and extending that agreement to all others is not the correct way to do it.

Brian

padi 15:09 26 Jan 2003

I have just got a Sony DVDRW, and i was wondering,
Is it possible to change the region 1 code to region 2 code when i copy a DVD?

padi 15:09 26 Jan 2003

I have just got a Sony DVDRW, and i was wondering,
Is it possible to change the region 1 code to region 2 code when i copy a DVD?

rickf 15:13 26 Jan 2003

No is the short answer.

LAMINA 15:24 26 Jan 2003

perhaps you should read here for the legality
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?