Can I re-install XP after updates?

Quilljar 22:08 27 May 2007

My PC has got so slow booting up (30minutes),that I think I need to re-install XP. Ihave tried everything else I can think of.
However, when I try to use my CD, I get a message saying that I have a more up-to-date OS already installed. Can anyone tell me how I can get round this and re-install my original CD?

VoG II 22:12 27 May 2007

click here and then restore all your stuff from your backup.

recap 22:14 27 May 2007

I would first run a full system scan with your anti-virus, spyware programs before doing a clean install.

If you have already undertaken this, uninstall the latest updates one at a time as one of these may be causing the problem.

If that fails, try a restore.

For information, after a clean install, Windows asks you whether you want to do any updating automatically. Windows will check your system for the latest updates and patches for all Microsoft products.

Quilljar 22:21 27 May 2007

I know how to install and I have run all the antispy and anti virus you can imagine. So will uninstalling all the updates do the trick, and allow the XPCD to do its job?

Jimmy14 22:22 27 May 2007

Have you tried booting up with the CD in and installing XP that way instead of installing it in Windows. You may need to set the boot order to the CD drive in the Bios.

Quilljar 22:27 27 May 2007

no I have not -but I might give it a try thanks.

ashdav 00:05 28 May 2007

Is the CD you are trying to install from XP SP1 ?
If you have had updates installed then you will have SP2.
That is why you are getting the up to date OS message.
The easiest way around this is to install from the CD you have and get to the second prompt where you are asked to repair the existing Windows installation.
Do this and you are back to your original SP1 installation but without any updates.
All your files will still be intact.
You can get all the updates from click here

Poitier 12:39 29 May 2007

Received a similar message to you when attempting a clean install (repair) i.e. cannot proceed.This was with a Mesh PC using a version 1 recovery disk.It is necessary to re-format the disk and re-install Windows as repair is not posible.

Stuartli 13:36 29 May 2007

You can use the latest monthly version of AutoPatcher to download all the XP critical updates etc. See:

click here

ashdav 00:59 31 May 2007

Same Autopatcher link as mine above.

Stuartli 08:51 31 May 2007

Opps, sorry - should have checked your link first, but typing fingers work quicker than brain...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?