Can I re-install Windows 7 from an upgrade disk?

Throbber 19:24 22 Mar 2010

I recently bought an upgrade to Windows 7 [from XP Pro]. This went absolutely fine, and was great for a couple of weeks. Now Windows 7 crashes/freezes regularly. If I leave a scan [e.g. MS essentials} or a defrag running, after a while it either freezes or the monitor goes black, and I have no option but to use the power switch to turn the PC off. Sometimes it takes several attempts to re-start, sometimes not.
Is this maybe some corrupted Windows 7 files, and if so can I repair these using my upgrade disk? And if so how would I do this?
It's a real shame, because I liked Windows 7.
If all else fails, is there a way to return to XP? [I have the full disk for that.]

AlanHo 20:19 22 Mar 2010

You can reinstall Win 7 using the upgrade disc.

Put the disc in the DVD drive and open the setup file from the existing Win 7 windows Explorer - rather than let the DVD auto run.

Select the option to install on your C: drive and select the format option.

Wth Windows 7 it first checks that you have a valid Windows OS before the install procedure - hence by opening the set up from within your existing Win 7 (provided it has been activated with Microsoft) it treats it as an upgrade and will activate OK.

You will of course first have to back up any data on your C: drive to another partition or external drive - and reinstall your programs again because the C: drive will be wiped clean of previous files.

Throbber 21:57 22 Mar 2010

Thanks AlanHo - will give that a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires