Can I re-configure Disk partitions (Windows Vista)

sydsnott 13:10 12 Feb 2014

My PC has a 500 GB Disk and was configured by the chap who installed the OS: Vista Ultimate.

He partitioned it as follows:-

C: Operating system ... currently 44 GB free of 118 GB

D: Recovery ... no idea what writes to this partition, but apparently I don't have permission to view the Files. there are 39 folders with similar labels, one such is this:- fefd7aa11e856730cc12b439d25ee9, all the folders except one are empty (0 bytes), the odd one contains the file "MRT.exe" which I believe is something to do with the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" ..... Currently 114 GB free of 117 GB

E: Apps ... Currently 112 GB free of 114 GB

F: Data ... Currently 10.1 GB free of 116 GB this partition's bar graph has now turned red due to the limited capacity.

I would like to re-allocate some of the "D" partition to the "F" partition, particularly since all the folders in it except one are empty. They seem to be monthly (though some months are missed) and date from 15/09/2010, which in its self is odd, since the OS was installed in july 2009.

It would be nice to know what triggered the creation of these folders, but more importantly, can I pinch some of this free space for my data... and instructions how to do it?

Can anyone help me?

sydsnott 13:55 12 Feb 2014

Hi Jock1e, no it's a self built machine, Asus P5Q3 motherboard, Intel Core 2 E8400 CPU 2GB DDR3 memory and nVidia GeForce9600GT 512MB graphics card.

As Far as I know there is no facility to "Restore" as there is with factory built PC's, and as I say, all the folders in the recovery partition are empty except the one which has the MRT.exe file in it.

bumpkin 15:16 12 Feb 2014

This may be useful to you click here

sydsnott 16:29 12 Feb 2014

Thanks Jock1e, I'm lost with partitions too! Bumpkin, thanks for that, I have Acronis True Image which will also do partitioning, as will the Windows disk management utility.

First though I need to know if reducing the size of the so called Recovery partition would be detrimental.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember that you can only "snatch" space between adjacent partitions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?