can i put windows xp or linux on 512 flash drive ?

stephen0205 15:23 28 Apr 2007

hi there i googled this and i found a way to put windows xp on a flash drive but its 30 pages long and i get confused with alot of it, is there a quick easy guide that canshow me how to put windows xp on a flash drive, not to install it on a pc butto use it as an os, also i tried puppy linux and that worked but it was kind of crap, i tried tiny linux and it didnt work. any ideas.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 28 Apr 2007

XP will not fit on a 512mb flash drive, I've done it on a 2G drive with a little room to spare.

stephen0205 15:36 28 Apr 2007

i found a site that says all you need is a 256mn flash drive but it is very complicated

Totally-braindead 16:17 28 Apr 2007

stephen0205 I would suggest that site is blethering a load of rubbish. XP is much larger than 256mb and there is no way you could get it to fit.
Its not possible. Even if you compressed the XP it still wouldn't fit.
Not sure about Linux as I'm unsure as to how large it is but I would think it would also be to large.

stephen0205 16:22 28 Apr 2007

I DISAGREE click here I just dont understand the guide.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 28 Apr 2007

The i386 folder that is need to install / run XP is 452Mb

Totally-braindead 22:53 28 Apr 2007

I have scanned through the link you gave. I am no expert on this but it appears to me that you create a cut down version of windows, this might be useful, indeed they mention how useful it can be but from what they said and I just glanced through the links its not a full version of windows at all.
Unless someone can explain to me how you fit windows files of, in my case 3 gigs, onto a file only 256mb in size I will stand by my statement. Its impossible.

I freely admit I don't understand all the ins and outs of the articles, but the bits I did understand were the creating of a bootable cut down version of windows for repair and diagnostics. This is not the same as a full windows installation.

I will be interested to see if some of the more technical people in the Forum, who do understand all the article, can clarify exactly what you can get on the pen drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires