Can I put a 3.06 Gig in my PC (see post)

AnthonyB 23:58 31 Dec 2003

Hello:)

I was wondering if I could put a 3 gig (or a 3.2 one) in my pc. It is a Hewlett packard with a 2.66 Pentium 4, on a 533 BUS. I heard something about "stepping" - whats that?, and would a 3.06 CPU work on my "Non HT" (hyperthreading) pc?

Regards

Anthony.

Happy new tear too - well it will be whrn you read this!

DieSse 00:07 01 Jan 2004

The 3 and 3.2 GHz processors are both for use with an 800MHz FSB (and both have Hyperthreading) - so would be useless in your system.

The 3.06GHz might work (would have to be looked into) - but the performance gain would be hardly worth the cost, as the hyperthraeding would not work anyway.

AnthonyB 00:27 01 Jan 2004

Thanks Diesee,

So a Better GFX card (like from my Radeon 9000 to a Radeon 9800 would be a better upgrade yes? (would need a new case though to house a bigger PSU than my "200 watter" Recommend any top quality cases with equally top quality PSU's? (sometimes you get a great case with a low quality 300 watter - which might not be enough.

Thanks

AnthonyB

DieSse 00:33 01 Jan 2004

Yes, a better graphics card would be a good upgrade, if you are doing things that need one. So might more RAM - depending how much you have, and what you do with the system.

The latset top-of-the-range graphics cards are all pretty power hungry - so would likle need a larger power supply.

The problem with all these "branded" designs is that you need to check very carefully if you change the case/PSU, that the old board has standard fittings and port positions, and power connections - required to fit into a "standard" case.

The back panel where the mouse and keyboard plug into is removeable... i would check very carefully is you do decide to "transplant" you motherboard etc over.

Check first though if a new power supply would be enough to cope though.

But definatley a new graphics card would increase you performance rather that a 600mhz increase in processor speed.

DieSse 11:22 01 Jan 2004

Pilch from exiled-gamers.co.uk - 3.06 - 2.66 = 400Mhz ;-o)

was a mistake caused by too much excess last nite ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache