Can I put a 3.06 Gig in my PC (see post)

AnthonyB 23:58 31 Dec 2003

Hello:)

I was wondering if I could put a 3 gig (or a 3.2 one) in my pc. It is a Hewlett packard with a 2.66 Pentium 4, on a 533 BUS. I heard something about "stepping" - whats that?, and would a 3.06 CPU work on my "Non HT" (hyperthreading) pc?

Regards

Anthony.

Happy new tear too - well it will be whrn you read this!

DieSse 00:07 01 Jan 2004

The 3 and 3.2 GHz processors are both for use with an 800MHz FSB (and both have Hyperthreading) - so would be useless in your system.

The 3.06GHz might work (would have to be looked into) - but the performance gain would be hardly worth the cost, as the hyperthraeding would not work anyway.

AnthonyB 00:27 01 Jan 2004

Thanks Diesee,

So a Better GFX card (like from my Radeon 9000 to a Radeon 9800 would be a better upgrade yes? (would need a new case though to house a bigger PSU than my "200 watter" Recommend any top quality cases with equally top quality PSU's? (sometimes you get a great case with a low quality 300 watter - which might not be enough.

Thanks

AnthonyB

DieSse 00:33 01 Jan 2004

Yes, a better graphics card would be a good upgrade, if you are doing things that need one. So might more RAM - depending how much you have, and what you do with the system.

The latset top-of-the-range graphics cards are all pretty power hungry - so would likle need a larger power supply.

The problem with all these "branded" designs is that you need to check very carefully if you change the case/PSU, that the old board has standard fittings and port positions, and power connections - required to fit into a "standard" case.

The back panel where the mouse and keyboard plug into is removeable... i would check very carefully is you do decide to "transplant" you motherboard etc over.

Check first though if a new power supply would be enough to cope though.

But definatley a new graphics card would increase you performance rather that a 600mhz increase in processor speed.

DieSse 11:22 01 Jan 2004

Pilch from exiled-gamers.co.uk - 3.06 - 2.66 = 400Mhz ;-o)

was a mistake caused by too much excess last nite ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?