Can I plug MP3 player into Stereo Unit??

Wak 10:37 02 Jun 2006

Hi, I have a small Stereo unit (having a radio, 2 tape decks, CD player and a turntable) which has a Headphone socket and a Microphone input socket.
Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to connect an MP3 Player to this Stereo unit via the microphone socket (using a 3.5mm male/male stereo cable) without damaging the MP3 player.
I wondered if it is possible to play the contents of the MP3 via the Stereo unit or is the Mic. socket only suitable for microphones??
I know I could try it and see but I didn't want to damage any equipment unnecessarily.
Thanks in advance.
Wak.

ACOLYTE 11:04 02 Jun 2006

It would depend i think if the stereo unit has a built in amp otherwise the sound you get may be to low to hear.But i have never tried so i may be wrong.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:07 02 Jun 2006
  Wak 13:34 02 Jun 2006

Many thanks for the input, Gents.
My MP3 runs off a single AAA battery so the first "Click here" doesn't seem to apply.
I'll have a play with the equipment and let you know what happens in due course.
Thanks again,
Wak.

Wak 19:45 02 Jun 2006

I managed to find the manual (which I hadn't seen for about 10 years) and the mic socket only goes to the tape deck for recording and does not produce any sound through the speakers.
The only other connectors available are the two outlets to the speakers so it would appear that my thoughts about playing the MP3 through the stereo is a big NO-NO.
Would be easier to transfer the required songs etc to a CD and play that on the stereo instead.
However, thank you for your interest and the interesting sites mentioned.
Subject resolved, thread ticked.
Wak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?