Can I play stereo sound through one laptop built-in speaker?

SirMetal 20:20 09 Sep 2012

Hello,

My laptop only has one built-in speaker, and this outputs the left channel only (annoying!).

After much tinkering and Google searching, I cannot come to a definitive solution.

Is it possible to output both channels through one speaker (AKA mono)?

Thanks,

-Callum

eedcam 22:28 09 Sep 2012

You should be able to select mono on your sound card . Go to your audio devices and have alookaroud

Woolwell 22:54 09 Sep 2012

I haven't come across a laptop with just one speaker. It should be possible to configure this through sounds. What is the OS?

SirMetal 23:06 09 Sep 2012

@Woolwell: Neither had I, until I bought this fantastic budget laptop! :)

@eedcam: I've been through the sound card settings — and the Realtek audio settings — but there's nothing here in this regard.

The OS is Windows 7. I've heard Windows 7 doesn't support mono output (along with some other stupid exclusions — no native A2DP being an example, but I digress) yet I was wondering if there are any 3rd party tools I can use? iTunes doesn't even have this option (it does on the Mac), and neither does WMP from what I can (or can't) see.

• Callum
  Furkin 08:19 10 Sep 2012

The technical answer is Yes – you can feed two channels to one speaker. It happens all the time; TV’s, Radio’s etc that have one speaker, still play stereo (though obviously it comes out as Mono) – but that’s not the question here.

Maybe if you post details of the laptop, someone may have already gone through what you are going through.

I’m also running Win 7 ult – 32bit, and have had my own problems over the past few days (which were solved on these pages – thanks again) and as been mentioned, I don’t recall seeing Mono mentioned anywhere either.

Good luck

eedcam 09:26 10 Sep 2012

Sir metal there should be a drop down box for the speaker settings which is found (on mine) under playback >advanced .One dumb thought you hae not inadvertently got the balance slammed over to one side

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?