Can I Merge 2 partitions on a hard drive?

Tinkey Winkey 15:52 15 Jul 2007

For some bizare reason Acer Laptops split their drives into 2 partitions.
As I only have a 40GB HDD then each partition is only 20GB which is a hassle to manage.

Is there any way to extend the C drive into D to make it one single 40GB drive without having to format the whole thing & reinstall windows etc?

I can't imagine this is possible but what the heck - thought I'd ask anyway!

Reb 15:55 15 Jul 2007

yes you can but you might have to use partition magic or some such thing

Tinkey Winkey 15:57 15 Jul 2007

Just found this:

click here

Can I use the trial version for this 1 off task or is there any free / trial software that can merge 20 + 20 into 40GB?

Reb 16:08 15 Jul 2007

you would need to check what the trial version offers & what happens when trial is over :-)
there is free software & maybe someone can point you in the direction of a good one

skidzy 16:09 15 Jul 2007
  Tinkey Winkey 16:18 15 Jul 2007

Great Find - thx Skidzy

stylehurst 16:44 15 Jul 2007

Ranish Partition Manager is Freeware; have not tried it but it has some good reviews

mobileman1953 18:00 15 Jul 2007

if you are using vista click here

wont work with xp though

Zak 18:06 15 Jul 2007

Here is another free open source - loads of documentation & forum. Download iso and burn bootable CD.

click here

Tinkey Winkey 22:06 15 Jul 2007

Problems problems lol...

Partition Logic only supports PS/2 keyboards & mice and there is no ps/2 sockets on my laptop.
Keyboard is integrated and the mouse is USB.

G parted downloaded files are in the .tar format so my pc doesn't know which prog is needed to open them.

Anything else I can use please?
Just wanna join the 2 NTFS partitions into a single partition using windows XP PRO on my laptop?

Tinkey Winkey 23:19 15 Jul 2007

Ok I burned the Partition Logic image to a cd and booted my laptop with it.

The keyboard & touchpad worked fine and I've resized the drive to 35GB with some head scratching and trial in error (Homer Simpson) type moments!

Guess this is the max size it'll convert to as you always loose a bit of space even after allowwing 2GB for the OS.

Thanks for all your kind help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?