Can i look at my registry backup ?

samson1589 00:55 20 Mar 2009

Hi,
Was wandering if and how i could search through my registry backup to see the differences between my registry now and a year ago. Is this possible ?

Many thanks.

Taff™ 06:39 20 Mar 2009

Right click the .reg file and select Open With and choose notepad. Don`t select Registry Editor because I think that would merge the backup file back to the registry.

The registry entries are so complex I can`t see you being able to compare them easily. Are you looking for a particular setting or just curious?

samson1589 06:53 20 Mar 2009

Thanks,
i am have corrupted or lost file: \windows\system32\config
so xp wont start up but i have a backup of the registry elsewhere and was wondering if i connected hard drive with xp on it to my laptop whether i could find corrupt file and replace it.
Bit of a long shot i know but thought it might be worth a try !

Taff™ 06:58 20 Mar 2009

Not the right way to go I`m afraid. Do you have an original XP disc? It must be the same as your XP installation either Home or Pro. We need to look at the possibility of either System Restore from a command line or a Repair Install of XP.

Can you tell us exactly what the error message says and we`ll advise from there. I suggest you make a back up of all your data in any case.

It might also be helpful if you post back the make and model of the computer.

samson1589 07:08 20 Mar 2009

Sorry no xp disk and system restore never seemed to work on my pc at least not in the last 2 years anyway.
The pc was built by a mate about 6 years ago.

Mobo: PC Chips M848 Rev 2.1
CPU: Sempron 2800+

Looks like i am saving for a new os then !

Taff™ 08:21 20 Mar 2009

Do you have a genuine XP COA sticker on the computer that gives you a CD Key? Your mate should have given you the original XP disc if he built this machine from scratch and installed the OS. Any chance you can ask him for it?

We still need the exact error message please. We can but try System Restore, you`ve nothing to lose if it fails because I presume your computer won`t boot up anyway.

All is not lost. Any good independent computer shop can sort this for you because they will have copies of the necessary discs providing you have the COA sticker with your licence key on it.

samson1589 00:53 21 Mar 2009

Sorry for taking so long to reply,

No XP disc my mate now lives in Dubai cannot find a COA sticker anywhere.

Exact error message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Any ideas ?

Taff™ 08:20 21 Mar 2009

Without the original disc or a COA key you are in trouble and questions whether you have a legitimate copy of XP on your machine.

I suggest you transfer the HDD to another computer either as a slave drive or in a USB caddy and backup your data. You should also run a check on that drive to determine if it is failing or in good condition. Forum Rules prevent me from providing you with the next steps on this forum but if you google your error message you may find the solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?